- Organize your office.
- Feng Shui your office to increase productivity.
- Redesigning your office space.
- Cleaning your office.
- Upkeep for a clean office from now on.
- Professional services will keep your office clean for you.
Has this ever happened to you? One day you look up from your work computer, and it feels as though a mountain of paper may avalanche right onto you, making any kind of search party deem you an impossible rescue. I’m sure it has. A clean office not only looks nice and professional but also helps you to keep your sanity. Additionally, it allows less chance for the occasional office meltdown. If you work for someone else, it also helps to show your boss that you are a dedicated, organized employee.
Office cleaning is a little more than just making it look tidy. If you take the time to organize, rearrange, clean, and make time for regular upkeep, you will see a difference in your attitude and stress level. Now, let’s Zen-out your office.
Step-by-Step Office Cleaning
- Organize your office. Okay, this is the part where you come out from under the avalanche and start sorting. Go through all of the papers on your desk first (seeing progress here will make you want to keep going). Set up a bin for papers you can recycle and one for shredding. Now, go through your desk drawers, cleaning out anything you no longer need. Do the same with any closets, bookcases, filing cabinets, and other drawers. Then organize, making sure everything has its own place. After this step is completed, you may want to play the music from Rocky and pump your fists in the air.
- Feng Shui your office to increase productivity. I’m not going to tell you to put your desk in the southeast corner facing the mountains, but it is a good idea to look at the functionality of your office. Are there things that always get in your way? Do you have trouble getting to the things you need every day? Now that you’ve organized your space, you may also need to rearrange it. Reposition your office furniture so you can get to things easily and unhindered.
- Redesigning your office space. I know it may be hard sometimes, but looking away from your computer every six minutes or so is good for your eyes and helps to stop fatigue. What is it that are you looking at when you look away? Put a picture you like directly where you would look up from your computer, so you can rest your eyes. If you can’t hang pictures in your office, get creative. There are many different removable wall decals available now.
- Cleaning your office. Now cleaning your office won’t be so bad. If you really want to do a thorough job, make sure to wipe off things such as your door handle, telephone, drawers, shelves, and keyboard. Remember to swab the obvious surfaces too, like your desk and any tables you have. You can make your own cleaning solution by mixing 1/2 cup of white vinegar and 1/4 cup of baking soda into two liters of water. Now you are all set for some nice office cleaning.
- Upkeep for a clean office from now on. The major cleaning is done. Before you leave for home, take a little time to organize and clean up from the day. Make this your end-of-the-day ritual, and you won’t have to spend tons of time every few weeks cleaning your office. I do this at my office, and it helps to keep the mess in check; it also helps me get organized for the next workday. It doesn’t take long; even five minutes can make a big difference when it comes to organization.
- Professional services will keep your office clean for you. Most likely you work at an office that has a cleaning service come in at night. If not, you might want to look into hiring a service for your office. It will allow you to save time instead of taking out garbage, cleaning bathrooms and floors, and vacuuming. If you own your own business and you are looking to save money, try to set up an office cleaning schedule that fits your needs.
Clean Office Fun and Games
You have made it out of the darkness, my friend. Feel proud. Feel awesome. Call off the search party and send in the parade! Knowing how to clean an office is a great skill to have. Like I said earlier, having a clean office will not go unnoticed by the powers that be.
The place where you spend a good portion of your day should fit your personality, but keep in mind that this is a place of business. When following the steps for cleaning an office and making it feel like your own, make sure your additions are appropriate. Before you bring in that huge portrait of Kramer from Seinfeld, just make sure to look around at your colleagues’ offices. If they seem to keep things neat, simple, and, yeah, maybe a tad boring, it would be a good idea to follow their lead and not go too far beyond that.
More Office Cleaning Products
Spray bottles. If you are interested in making your own solutions for office cleaning, it’s a great idea to invest in a few spray bottles. Make sure to label the solution you put in each bottle.
Mason jars. Mason jars are a cheap, chic way to organize your pens, paper clips, push pins, or even rubber bands. You can decorate them as you wish or leave them the way you bought them. This is a great little way to get your office clean and organized.
Drawer organizers.These are great for keeping your office drawers neat and organized, especially if you don’t like to have pen holders or others things on your desk. It also makes office cleaning easier when everything has a place. Amazon has a wide variety of drawer organizers.